_

_

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My First Crap Ever!


It's not very often one gets to celebrate a Bag of Crap. In fact, yesterday I got to have my very first experience. For those who may be unfamiliar, I will try to explain:

There are many different websites out there that offer deals on a variety of products ranging from paperclips to sports cars, but my favorite is Woot. It is a site that offers a pretty good deal on generally one item every day until they sell out. Shipping is always $5 regardless of the item and most of the time the item is some sort of electronic doohickey. There are also spin offs of the site focused on shirts, kids and other deals. Anyway, occasionally the warehouse gets full of random items or the people running the show want to have a little fun so they offer what is officially known as a Bag of Crap (though it goes by many other names as well). Inside the “bag” are at least three items for $1 each. Add the $5 shipping and you have $8 of excitement. You never really know what could come in it and it is usually just what it says it is, but they sell out in a mater of minutes because there is always an off chance that something inside might actually be worthwhile. There have been rumors of televisions, iPods and various other items.

I joined the Woot community in April 2006 and regularly check the site to see what’s there. I have been trying to obtain my own Bag of Crap for nearly that long and achieved that dream yesterday. Here’s what was inside:



2 - Wibby balls, one zigzag and one noodle
1 - Furniture polish kit
1 - Reusable bag with a lobster on it
5 - Polo shirts size small (I generally wear at least a large, though I was able to put one on!)
And
1 - 4 channel DVR surveillance system

The surveillance system was quite a surprise. I was a little disappointed that they took out the hard drive, but it was a lot better than a bag of rocks. Otherwise, I was very happy with my first experience. Hopefully I will have another chance (and that my wife will continue to be okay with me spending money on something actually labeled “crap”) and to those who are still in the pursuit, I wish you the best of luck!



2 comments:

Megan said...

Haha. I love it. It's like a round a bout version of gambling or something ;)

mom T. said...

Way to go, Nate! We are so excited that you got your first crap!