_

_

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Katelyn is out of diapers!

I can finally say that Katelyn is now out of diapers. She actually has been wearing underwear all day for 2 months now, but for the past few weeks she has worn them all night as well. We are very proud of her. I introduced the idea to her at the first of the year, but she had no interest. I know that if I had pushed it, she would have resisted. She pretty much potty trained herself. Right after I had Sadie is when the idea really clicked and she wanted to wear underwear all the time. I thought "oh great, right now?", but it worked out great. I can count how many accidents she had on one hand. She did awesome and it's because she was ready. My advice for anybody willing to listen, is that the first steps are to talk about it a lot and have them be able to wash their hands themselves before you ever start anything. After that, follow your kids lead. I personally think that having your kid potty trained by the time they're two is highly over rated. Don't let outside pressures dictate what your kids should be doing. I think it is funny that when they turn 2 it is the magical age to have your kid potty trained, but most kids at that age don't even have the coordination and skill level to be able to do what is needed to use the bathroom and wash their hands. Well, I will get off of my soapbox and just say that Nate and I are very proud of our big girl.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Way to go Katelyn! That is awesome and I am super jealous. I long for the day of not changing and buying diapers although I guess in all actuality it won't be for a while. I can't imagine trying to have Anna potty trained by 2. She still gets poo and pee mixed up (too much info). She is always telling me she has pooped but really she just peeped. Haha. Oh well. Thanks for the tip!

Mandy said...

We have a new theme song for you...
(You know the song "We like to party"- well we decided to change that to "We like to potty, we like, we like to potty". Hopefully you know what song that is. Great job Katelyn!

Zarah said...

That's so exciting! That must be a great feeling. Yay Katelyn!

The Halladays said...

Hey guys, I need your email address(es) so that you will be able to read our blog once I make it private